Our goal is to create an inclusive, respectful conference environment that invites participation from people of all races, ethnicities, genders, ages, abilities, religions, and sexual orientations. pyArkansas and its staff fully support and endorse the Python Software Foundation's diversity statement:
"The Python Software Foundation and the global Python community welcome and encourage participation by everyone. Our community is based on mutual respect, tolerance, and encouragement, and we are working to help each other live up to these principles. We want our community to be more diverse: whoever you are, and whatever your background, we welcome you."
We're actively seeking to increase the diversity of our attendees, speakers, and sponsors through our calls for proposals, other open submission processes, and through dialogue with the larger communities we serve.
Here are some ways you can help us build a more diverse conference experience:
- Recommend appropriate speakers and/or program committee members to the conference chairs. You may also send an email to pycon-organizers.
- Forward our call for proposals to relevant affinity groups with the message that we are looking for a diverse speaker roster.
- Suggest to potential speakers that they submit a proposal during our Call for Proposals conference phase (see the speaker page for details).
- Organize community-based public speaking trainings and practice events (Ignite is one popular format).
- Suggest ways that the onsite conference experience can be more welcoming and supportive, free from intimidation and marginalization.
- Share your ideas and best practices for how we can realize our vision.
We value diversity in the communities we bring together. We strive to provide balanced representation of the richness of our collective human experience, and welcome your contributions to helping us achieve that goal by following our code of conduct.
Credit for the original version of this document goes to O'Reilly Media.